Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Laurel Grace Burts Birth Story

Thursday October 6th 8:45am

I had decided the night before that I would keep Matthew home from school. I really did not have a good reason other than he had stayed up a little late and really I just did not feel like waking up early and taking him. I had believed I was leaking fluid about two days so when I woke up this morning and stood up out of bed I felt a small gush. I called the midwife to see if I could come by and she could check if it was indeed amniotic fluid. I got ready and hopped in the car and left the kids with Samantha.

9:30am
Driving into Mississippi to my midwifes I felt a couple contractions they felt just like the ones I had been having on and off for the last two days so I barely took note of them. I was greeted warmly upon arriving at the Midwifes home office. She checked the fluid but there was not enough to get a proper reaction on the stick, she asked to check me and I was at a 4 and 90% effaced and my cervix was low. She asked me to stick around for a half hour and we would test the stick again. (give the amniotic fluid a chance to pool so there would be enough for the test) So as we where chatting I would pause here and there for a contraction I was not paying much attention otherwise to them because again I was having them on and off for days. My Midwife was timing them silently while we where chatting. After a half hour she tells me they are pretty close together and she thinks I might be in early labor she had me wait there another 20 min and asked to check me again and I was at a 6!

11:00-11:30am

She promptly sent me home and was following behind me shortly. I pulled out of her drive way and called my husband to let him know. I than called my mom and my good friend Toni after which I was not able to talk because the contractions where becoming too intense and I still had a 20 min drive home. I of course got stuck behind the slowest RV on the road most of the way home but I finally made it. Steven got home shortly after me. Samantha had cleaned the whole house while I was gone and she did not even know I was in labor! I hopped in the shower while Steven ran back out for a Pizza, I had not eaten all day so far.

12pm

Both of the Midwives had arrived and Steven with the pizzas. They where setting up in my room and I was in the dinning room eating a slice in between contractions. I noticed myself getting really shaky after I had finished. I thought to my self "this is transition" but brushed it off thining it was too soon. These contractions where more bothersome than with my last labor. (I had pulled a muscle during our move which probably made it much worse) So I decided to get into the bath to ease the discomfort. The water was helpful Matthew had fallen asleep on the couch and Audrey wanted to keep mommy company by pouring water on my belly. She was so sweet.

1:45-2:27pm
Steven stayed attentive the whole time but within a short period of time I felt things pick up and felt the urge to push. I thought to my self "there is no way!" it had only been a few hours, so I ignored it for a couple more contractions until I could not ignore it anymore! I called for my Midwife and they finished getting the room set up I got out of the tub and sure enough I was at 10cm. Audrey fell asleep at this point too which was great because my sister and husband did not have to tend to them while I was pushing. After trying several posistions during pushing I could not get comfortable. The Midwife had me flip to hands and knees the baby rotated and oh my she started coming! I reached down felt her head and sat up reached down with my other hand and after the Midwife untagled her cord I pushed and lifted her to my chest all on my own it was so amazing! I got to catch my own beautiful girl! I was wonderful!

My labor was short but very intense compared to my last. The Midwives stayed for 4+ hours ran us a warm herbal bath, made sure I ate and Laurel was latching well. They cleaned everything all the towels and the tub there was nothing for me to worry about it was great. I snuggled up in my bed with my little girl ate some fruit and popped in a movie. my hubby sister and the kids came in and out for visits, and we all got to enjoy our little Laurel in the comfort of our own home.








Laurel Grace Burt
Oct 6th, 2011 2:27pm
7lbs 4oz
20 1/4 inches

3 comments:

  1. This makes me so happy! Can I share it on my blog?
    Anastasia

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, was thinking about you guys. Congratulations.!

    ReplyDelete